The ‘Award for Outstanding Student Abstract’ opportunity has been developed and is being coordinated by the ISDS Research Committee. The purpose of the Award is to recognize the exemplary work being done by students in the field of biosurveillance.
Two students will be selected (see decision section below) and awarded:
- An oral presentation slot to disseminate their innovative work in one of the conference disciplines (see descriptions):
- Analytical methods
- Policy (at local, state/provincial, national, or international levels)
- Public/population health surveillance practice
- Certificate of achievement
- Recognition on 2013 ISDS Conference materials, as well as at the Conference
- Stipend (Complimentary: Conference registration and 2 nights at the Sheraton New Orleans, as well as up to $150 reimbursement for other travel expenses – will need to submit receipts for reimbursement).
In order to be considered for an ISDS ‘Award for Outstanding Student Abstract,’ you must be enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or equivalent program in a surveillance-related field (e.g. epidemiology, informatics, statistics).
Eligible applicants are required to submit an abstract and an application form no later than Monday, September 9, 2013. Please:
1. Submit an abstract for the 2013 ISDS Conference in any ‘Discipline.’
2. Complete the online application, which will be reviewed by an ‘Award Committee.’
- Name, address, school, and program.
- Proof of student standing – a scanned copy of your unofficial transcript and student ID (transcript will only be used to confirm eligibility and will NOT be a factored into the award decision).
- Estimated cost of attendance, including travel, accommodations, and conference registration.
- Short statement about financial need, how information learned at the 2013 ISDS Conference will benefit you, and how this information will benefit your academic community (no more than 500 words).
Award decisions will be made based on:
- Quality of abstract submitted
- Innovation of work described in the abstract
- Applicant’s personal statement
Award winners will be announced by October 11, 2013 (after the abstract review and notification process is complete).