The purpose of the ‘Award for Outstanding Student or Post Degree Abstract’ is to increase interest and participation in the International Society for Disease Surveillance (ISDS), especially its Research Committee an annual conference, as well as recognize the exemplary work being done by students or recent students in the field of biosurveillance.
Two researchers are selected (see decision section below) and awarded:
- An oral presentation slot to disseminate their innovative work in one of the conference disciplines (see descriptions):
- Policy (at local, state/provincial, national, or international levels)
- Public/population health surveillance practice
- Certificate of achievement
- Recognition on 2015 ISDS Conference materials, as well as during the Conference Awards Ceremony
- Waived Pre-Conference Training (December 8) and Conference (December 9-10) registration
- 3 nights at the Denver Marriott City Center
In order to be considered for an ISDS ‘Award for Outstanding Student or Post Degree Abstract,’ you must be:
- An ISDS member (Student rate: $30 – if you are not currently a member, you may join here).
Application Process (Deadline September 11, 2015)
During the application process, applicants are asked to:
1. Submit an abstract by the August 26, 2015 deadline for the 2015 ISDS Conference in any ‘Discipline.’
2. Complete the online application which will be reviewed by an ‘Award Committee.’
- Name, address, school, and program.
- Proof of student standing or recent student statnding – a scanned copy of your unofficial transcript and student ID (transcript will only be used to confirm eligibility and will NOT be a factored into the award decision).
- Short statement about financial need, how information learned at the 2015 ISDS Conference will benefit you, and how this information will benefit your academic community (no more than 500 words).
Application Review Process
- Representatives from the Research Committee will convene a group to review applications.
- Each personal statement will be sent to two members of the review committee.
- Each personal statement will be reviewed for strength, using attached rubric (pdf). *NOTE: The abstract score will be taken from the average score obtained through ISDS’s abstract review process
- The three scores will be averaged and the resulting average will be the final application score
|Meet Eligibility Requirements||0% (Yes/No)||0|
|Abstract Accepted||0% (Yes/No)||0|
|Reviewer Score of Abstract||50%||5|
Winners will be notified October, 2015